Welcome!

Welcome to Caps 'Round the Clock, a blog covering the Washington Capitals and the NHL. In season, I update the Blog after every practice and on game day with Caps news and information, and then provide a recap and analysis after each contest. I also write a periodical Prospect Watch and weekly feature pieces on the state of the Men in Red and other things Capitals. And of course, I will post videos and tidbits from around the League and offer my two cents as the season wears on. In the offseason, I write a Report Card for each player, and will keep you updated on all the news about the Caps through the summer. I'm glad you're here, and hope you come back!

Sunday, March 25, 2012

ESPN Profiles Alex Ovechkin

Sunday night, ESPN ran a feature on Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin, who has come under fire more and more over the last two years as his point production slips and the Capitals continue to struggle.  Check out the video below.

For me, it's difficult to get a read on this video.  From a fan's standpoint, it is very interesting to see Ovechkin react on a personal level to the criticism that he has faced.  It's no secret if you have read my content this season that I am frustrated with Ovechkin's production, as many Caps fans are.  But when you watch this video, it's very hard not to fall in love with the exuberance and the flair that made Ovechkin the lethal player that toyed with the National Hockey League the first five years he played in it.  He's so genuine, so original, so raw.
You just have a desire to see him succeed, not only as a fan of the team, but almost as a fan of hockey.  It's clear to me that the enormous pressure that comes with being Ovechkin is starting to get to him a little bit, and that is having a profound impact on his game.  He wants it so badly, just like we all do.
But as we all know, wanting it simply is not enough.  You have to go out there and do it.  You still have to win, and get the job done.  Ovechkin knows this; he says it clear as day: "I know I have to win the Cup."
How not only this season, but the next ten years of Ovechkin's contract unfold is going to be highly entertaining to watch.  There is no doubt that the statistics are stacked against him regaining his dominance, but I think that if anyone can break the mold, it's Ovechkin.
Breaking the mold is what Ovechkin does.

As always, follow me on Twitter here for news and updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment