Welcome!

Welcome to Caps 'Round the Clock, a blog covering the Washington Capitals and the NHL. In season, I update the Blog after every practice and on game day with Caps news and information, and then provide a recap and analysis after each contest. I also write a periodical Prospect Watch and weekly feature pieces on the state of the Men in Red and other things Capitals. And of course, I will post videos and tidbits from around the League and offer my two cents as the season wears on. In the offseason, I write a Report Card for each player, and will keep you updated on all the news about the Caps through the summer. I'm glad you're here, and hope you come back!

Friday, April 29, 2011

Guy Boucher, Thespian

"This is my 'blow hot air' face.  I have many others."
First off, I am going to say that I have alot of respect for Guy Boucher.  I have for a long time.  The man knows hockey and he has worked hard to get to where he is. He has a prussian fightning scar that he definetely got in a dark alley in Montreal, and he has a no-nonsense attitude that makes him very intimidating.  But ever since the Lightning knocked off the Penguins to advance and play the Capitals in the second round, he has put on a very interesting and convincing act during every one of his meetings with the media.
I am referring, of course, to Boucher's stance that the Capitals are a much better team that should dominate the series.  "I do not see any weaknesses in their game," he said Thursday afternoon.  "It's like David and Goliath," he added.  He then went so far as to add the ultimate dagger: "If they lose, it's a failure.  They have the tools to win now.  They are in year five of their process, we are in year one of ours."
The savvy Quebecois then continued his mind games after Friday's win over the Caps. Boucher continued to insist that the Caps are the better side, speaking as though he was coaching a minor league team against the 1976 Soviet National team: "That team we're playing is quite a hockey machine.  At the ice level, I can tell you, they're looking outstanding out there.  It was surprising to come in here and get one of the two games.  I'll be honest, we weren't expecting that."  Before he closed out his media time, the Lightning bench boss also tried to tell the assembled media that the scheduled back to back games at home next week somehow hurt his team.
Okay, Guy, hold the phone for a second.  True or false, the Lightning just came off a convincing 3-1 comeback against one of the best defensive teams in the league?  True or false, the Lightning finished a (truly whopping) four whole points behind the Caps for the Southeast Division, and led it for most of the year?  True or false, you have a Hart Trophy Candidate on your team, as well as Steven Stamkos, who is probably the best young goal scorer in the NHL not named Sidney Crosby or Alex Ovechkin?
Drop the underdog schtick already.  We get it, Guy, and it's really starting to get annoying.  Everyone is on to you, and you're not fooling anybody.  You basically think your team has no shot against a "machine" like the Caps.  It's gamesmanship, and it's okay on day one, but saying after a win on hostile ice that your team "did not expect" to win just makes you look foolish.
Maybe it's just because I'm frustrated, but this is really starting to grind my gears.

1 comment:

  1. Hawk,

    I understand your argument but in this context, don't take Boucher literally. To paraphrase the great General Sun Tzu "All war is based on deception". Boucher - to the media, keep in mind, not to his team behind closed doors - is not underestimating his opponent, and he's not overestimating his team's ability.
    I know how much you eat, breathe, and sleep the Caps. I appreciate your intensity - you've had that since you were a youngster and it's going to take you to big places in your life. I'll bet on it.
    This is a seven game series, and it hurts to lose the first one at home, but if the Caps are really Cup-worthy a one game hole is a divot, not an abyss.
    Keep your head up.

    Fabs

    ReplyDelete